Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mookie Madness

Not in my wildest dreams did I think I would have that kind of success. I final tabled the Mookie last night. It was a great first time blogger's event experience. It was also my first time listening to Buddydank radio. That is just awesome. Made the whole tournament just that much more fun. I was chuckling the whole time, plus the tunes were great.

Over all I played well. Got REALLY lucky once. I was in the big blind with 7s4s and muchtim min raised utg+1. One other caller and I saw the flop of 7d3x5d. I check, muchtim bets out small and other guy calls. Now I see this and am wondering. I am pretty sure the caller is on some type of draw. Not knowing muchtim, or any other blogger's styles, I thought he either had weak AK (no diamonds) or big over pair. I decided that the bet seemed really weak for an over pair and pushed the size of the pot. Fireworks ensue, muchtim pushes, other caller calls and I am left with a decision. Now all I have is crappy top pair and a gutshot straight draw. I have about 1k left, I think, don't really remember. I know I am beat and priced in so I call. Muchtim shows AA, and the caller had 8d6d for the oesfd. Turn is Kx I think and the river delivers me the chip lead with the beautiful 6c.

Now I know I misplayed it. And in retrospect I think muchtim was trying to play a big pot with AA. But when it came down to my decision on the flop, I figured go big or go home. I did not want my inaugural blogger event to set the tone of being weak and passive. I had already called off most of my stack to dwal in a hand earlier and did not want to repeat. Luckily I had chipped back up. I had muchtim covered (barely) and I had the back up gut shot draw to save me. Slim I know, but those two things put my decision over the top. Anyway my play there just solidifies my place in bloggerdom's donkey town.

I also got to take out some blogger's whose blogs I have been lurking around for a while. I knocked out willwonka when we got it all in pre flop his AQ vs my AK. He hit a Q on the flop but I resucked a K on the river. The call on buddy dank radio was a fun listen. I also picked up AA and katitude open pushed as a shorty with AJ. I could hear her wince on BD when I pushed all in over the top. Sureal. Other than that as a chip leader I just open raised decent hands to maintain my chip level and waited for monsters. I also made calls out of the blinds with above average hand to shorties on the button or cut off who were obviously pushing with almost anything when folded to them. I think every one of those except one, my hand held.

I was the chip leader with 24 left. Third in chips after the 2nd break. And I was 5th when the final table bubble burst. I had 15k to the chip leaders 37k. Not the best position but still way in the thing. I went card dead at the final table and dwindled down under 10k. I didn't get above 20k the whole night until I got into a hand with Memphis00 who had been the chip leader the whole time. He had a commanding lead and was wielding his big stack like the mace it was. He had to of open raised every other hand on average. He knew any pot we played would commit us. Anyway I had Ad7d and he raised I called and the flop came out 2 diamond. He pushed and I called he had me with a flopped pair of kings I think, memory is not so good. I got lucky and rivered the flush. That put be up around 35k and above 20k for the first time. This is as close to overcoming his lead we would get as Astin had about the same chip stack as myself and memphis00 had roughly double us.

Few hands later memphis00 open raised from the button the I had chips now and decided to take a flyer with Q7s. Flop Kx2x7x. He bets about pot and I push you know be aggressive be be aggressive. Now I put him on a range of any Ax to K9 and up or any two broadway cards. He flips up KJ and Igh in 4th place for $102.

Pretty freaking good for my first foray into the blogger tournament world. Would have had to call it good and be done with this whole blogger thing if I somehow won the thing. No place to go but down. Congrats to memphis00 on completing a goal and getting that TOC seat

In all it was great and I am still in awe of the whole experience. One thing is for sure, I am hooked.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the finish last night!

WillWonka said...

Congrats and welcome to the world of poker, blogging and general degenerate activty.

I didn't hear the call on BDR. I'm probably glad I didn't... lol.

I thought you were just pushing your big stack around. Oops..

Take it easy on me next time ;-)

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

A sincere welcome to the group. I hope blogging about poker turns out to be all that you are hoping for and more.

Btw final tabling the Mookie is for donkeys. I'm just sayin'.

MorningThunder said...

Thanks for the comments guy. Mucho appreciato