Monday, September 27, 2010

Tingly Down There

Is there anything better than picking up Aces?

I was playing the $4.40 Rush tourney. I had recently doubled up and was sitting in the top five with about 23 players to go. Top fifteen get paid. I get rushed to the next table and find myself in middle position with AA. I go through my normal quick check off when I get a big pair. My position, stacks sizes I am up against and how am I going to play it, pre-flop post flop whatever. How am I going to maximize value here. I tend to talk to myself at the computer. I am verbalizing all this when under the gun plus two (2nd in chips) open shoves. I giggle a little and mutter "that decision is taken care of". I sit for a split second as my elation turns to worry. God I hate poker sometimes. I am getting ready to call a bet that can double me up and I am holding the nuts. But, all I can think of is the bad beat that is coming. Sick I know. I guess it has come to this. It is easier to expect the beat down while holding the nuts than getting excited about winning with the nuts and getting snapped off.



As you can see it all worked out in the end. I doubled up and took the commanding lead. What a great play with JJ eh? That guy should teach a class on how to never ever play JJ. Just plain awful.

I made the final table pretty easily. FT got me. It is not that it gets me, it is the manner in which it does. I took a race for half my stack with 55 in a battle of the blinds all in pre flop. I win and I have a commanding chip lead over all but one other player. 55 < AK. The board comes out T787T. Counterfeited. Damn. Would have felt better losing to an ace or king. Getting counterfeited feels so dirty. Still have chips enough to make moves, about 15K. Blinds were 800/400.

First hand of the final table I get 4 limpers with me in the big blind. I have 23of clubs. Flop 4c5c8s. The small blind bets and I push. The big stack flats as does the small blind. I hit the flush and the big stack pushes. Doh!!!. He flips over the nut flush and I am drawing to one out. No such luck and IGH in 9th.

2 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Even though you're disappointed, 9th is good - congrats!

jjok said...

Jacks suck.