Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Poker Bleh

Went to Harrahs yesterday. I made the most horrendous play I have made in a long time. I get in a cheap flop with Q9 from the small blind. Flop of 9QK hits. I bet $10 and get called in three spots. The turn is a 6. I slow down and check. The big blind bets $60. Folds around to me and I think a bit before calling. River is a blank 7 of hearts.. There were two spades on the flop. I check and he bets $200. That puts me all in. I deliberate and finally call. It was obvious to everyone he flopped the nuts JT. I knew it too. My brain was screaming at me to fold from the turn. My brain was sending off 5 alarm bells on the river. It was like I was mesmerized. I guess I just wanted to be a hero. Never go broke with a pair of queens in you hand. Right? I could only beat top pair or the busted flush draw. No way he bets that way. No way. The kick in the junk of the whole thing is I told myself I was going to play until my big blind, but decided I had one more round in me. If I had just got up I would have booked a smallish $60 win. Still $20 an hour. Instead I went home broke and dazed and severely disappointed in myself. Expensive lesson.


I played on Cake poker last night for the first time in a while. It was a $5.50 re buy and add on. I got in for the minimum $15 consisting of the double buy to open the tourney and the add on at the end of the re buy period. All of my big hands had lots of all in action and all held up. I ended the re buy period as the huge chip leader. I cruised to the final table, never falling below fifth place. We were playing ten handed with blinds 3k/6k ante 500. I limp with KQs under the gun. We see a flop five ways. Ts8s3s. Can you say GIN!!!! There is already 40k in the pot and I have about 62k left. I decide to push and take it down here. I would be second or third in chips. It folds to the big blind who instant calls. He has about 70k left. He has the As4h. Of course the final spade hits the river and IGH. I win that pot and I am in first place. The fool. He puts basically his whole tourney life on the line as a %70 underdog. I fade that spade and I have a great chance of winning another $650 or so.

So there you have it. No justice in poker. I donk off into the nuts and get drawn out on by a donkey.

Bleh

No comments: