Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Last Night

Home game again. Won $50.

The table was very loose. I made quads on my first hand. Got paid.

4th hand in I limp on the button with 45os in nearly family pot. Flop comes T67 rainbow. Checked around. Turn is the 4th lucky charm in the form of the 8 of hearts. I made my straight. Sb leads out for $2 into a $3.50 pot. BB smooth calls and folds around to me. I pretty much insta-fold and show my cards to John. He is a solid player with ideas on going pro. He looks at my cards and then realizes I folded the straight. He couldn't believe it. He said he would have to raise to see where he was at. I said I absolutely knew I was dead. Sb ended up having the stone cold nuts with J9. John said it was a sick fold.

So who is right here? I told him that the smooth caller pretty much sealed the deal. And, who is betting into a board that coordinated with anything less than a straight? The smallish raise was screaming for a re-raise. He said it was a small bet and raising it up a little defines my hand. I wanted to get money in at a better place. John's attitude is what makes this game so good. Everybody is trying to make hero plays when it is so easy to sit back and wait until you have them dominated. I would have just bled off chips.

Anyway, couple of other hands of note. I limp utg with QQ, knowing the raise was coming and get my wish when it is popped to $3.50 by mp. Call, call,call, call. I move all in and take it down. I told him the only person I was worried about was the original raiser. If he folds, I know I am good. Most of them argued with me and said the original raiser was loose and the calls behind him could have been super strong. I told them it was a textbook poker play and that the lesson was over. I would have made the same move with AT as well.

Had 9Th. Went runner runner to boat over straight. They let me get there. AQ9 flopped checked. T turn checked. 9 river I bet pot and nut straight smooth calls me. Good call. If I knew he was that strong I would have check raised him...oh well.

MT

No comments: