Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Flopped Straights Always Win

Not really. It seems that whenever I flop one in live play, I lose. Invariably, I check the flop, trying to let someone catch up. The turn gives them 9 outs and they bet. I raise to eliminate draws and they call off their stack and punish me on the river.

Not last night. The home game was at my place due to the normal host not wanting his mother and brother to know that he is a degenerate. The beer and cards would be too much for the visiting kin folk, let alone the MaryJane. I complete in the small blind with 97os. Flop is JT8 rainbow. No check for me. I bet the pot. 3 folds and the button smooth calls. 8 on the turn. I am pretty sure I am still ahead, but this is Mookie. No not this guy, different Mookie. He will float with anything, but I am almost sure he re pops it on the flop with any two pair. I think a while and check. He bet 2/3 pot. River is the 5c and I bet $10. He fumbles his chips and raises $15. I insta call and his turned trips are no good. He was floating a pot bet with bottom pair and a 4 kicker. I love that guy. He pays me every week. Probably should have pushed on his re raise here, but I did not have the nut straight. That and the paired board slowed me down.

He payed me again later when I limp then pay $2 in ep with 33. 4 to the flop and the door card is a beautiful 3. Is there anything prettier in poker than hitting your set holding a baby pair? It is checked around to the button who bets the pot. Cold called by original raiser, Mookie, in the big blind. I push all in for $18 more. The button whines a little and said he knew I was strong when I checked in ep on the K high flop. He reluctantly folds and Mookie tanks for a while and even says I probably have a set. In the end he calls, because he was up and he likes to gamble. He turns over JTos and is dead to runner runner. 4h on the turn and the hand is over. The button says he folded AK. He is a strong player. Anybody else at the table and I triple up.

Wound up $100 for the night. Gifted $17 to the strong player on the last hand. Fun fun fun.

Internet poker continues to kick my ass. I guess I will have to play more live. Keep Internet for taking shots at big scores in tournaments

RCJH

MT

No comments: