Thursday, July 23, 2009

Live Poker

Went to Harrah's the other day. Had lunch with the wife and after the meal, my car just sorta found it's way there. I have not been playing well and or running well at this room. I think part of it is because I play during the day. Not much loose money laying around at 1 in the afternoon. So I told myself I would really tighten up. And I did, for a while.

I won a few pots here and there. Mostly folded. Cards dictated that. I get QQ under the gun. It is a 1/2 game. I raise it to $12. Guy to my left had called the $2 before I acted. He said sorry and then called my $12. $2 hand or $12 hand. Funny. Shorter stack thinks for a bit and moves all in. He has KK and I am down to $140 of my original $200.

I get TT later on the button and limp with five others. Flop comes 872 with two clubs. Big blind puts out one red chip. Called in two places. I pop it $25 more and action goes to the big blind after the shortie small blind calls. He had less than my re raise. The big blind just sits there. Thinking. He looked super strong. He started sizing up my stack. He is totally ignoring me. I know he has top set. Just know it. He finally looks at me and says he will put me all in. I insta fold. And tell him he looks like a man who has top set and show him my TT. He turns over 88 and it holds. He said he was frightened by the flush draw. OK.

I was down over a hundred now, but felt good about my play. It felt great to read him like an open book. It represents a pretty big leap in my play. So, I reloaded up to $200 and played on.

Later I flopped a full boat with 55 on a 566 board and got paid off by the same guy with A6. This same guy also bet $5 any time he had a big hand. I hope I play with him again soon.

I was up and down from around even for a couple hours. I had to leave soon so I decided to play to my big blind. The guy to my right liked to straddle utg so when he did I called with 8c9c. Four more joined us around to the small blind who make it $16 to go. The original straddler called. I made the loose call as well. You know, go big or go home. Three others come along. The dealer collects the chips and stars to deal the flop. The small blind moves all in blind. Now this is just silly. He gave up so much info here. He is only getting called by a hand that beats him. Any way. The flop come 979 rainbow. Thank you. Straddler folds. I move in for $200 more and snap him off. He is cranky and says he will be back. I basically hit and run and go from $100 down to $50 up for the day. Went from frustration to elation just like that.

One funny story. A 20 something guy sat down next to me half way through the session. He was talkative and soon announced to our end of the table that he was tightening up this session. I asked him what he meant. He said top five hands only with a twinkle in his eye. Fast forward. He ends up wining an hand with 78os. I ask him where in the top five that hand falls. He just chuckled and said #5. Fast forward again. He is leading out at a pot the whole way. Guy at the other end of table is calling the whole way. Now the other guy is a huge stack. Everything is working for him. His bluffs turn into made hands. Kickers always just one above the others. Anyhoo, my neighbor is betting into him through the river. The other end guy then bumps it up. My neighbor agonizes and finally calls. The other end guy flips over the 78os for rivered gut shot straight. Two pair no good. Disgusted, my neighbor mucks. I turn to him and tell him tongue in cheek that he can not be mad because 78os is a top five hand. He laughed.

No comments: